I get asked pretty frequently how I came up with Sablewood's name, so I wanted to share it with you here! (It's a bit long-winded, which shouldn't surprise you in the least.)
Several years back, I was working full-time and going to school full-time for my second degree in graphic design. Even though my coursework was creative, I needed a creative outlet that was all my own. When I discovered National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), I knew I'd found my place.
NaNoWriMo is an annual "competition" that takes place during the month of November. The goal is to write a novel in one month, or 50,000 words. It's a lofty goal, to be sure—but the best part is that you end up with a shell of a novel that can be edited. It gets you started, it forces you to work outside your comfort zone, and you build incredible writing habits.
Anyway, I've always been an avid writer. I wrote stories for young adult competitions and placed for some very minor awards, but I've always done it because I love to write and communicate better that way. So this NaNoWriMo thing sounded right up my alley...and it. totally. was.
I wrote 57,797 words in 30 days. That's about 2,000 words a day (you know, term paper length). I created a new world, filled it with dozens of main and supporting characters, and told a twisting tale of the search for immortality.
The main character's name was Sable.
When I was making Sablewood government-official, I had to come up with a name. I was also working with wood a lot at the beginning of my creative journey. It made sense to me to combine my beloved main character's name with my love of woodworking and my paper passion, while giving my company space to grow.
Thus, Sablewood Paper Company was created.
Hi! I'm Holly, the calligrapher/designer/all-hats-wearing creative force behind Sablewood Paper Company.
Sablewood Paper Company is a custom wedding stationery and graphic design studio, specializing in wedding paper goods, wood signage, and small business branding. I work with brides who are looking for a sophisticated look for their wedding stationery, bespoke design, or something utterly unique. And with over 7 years in the graphic design industry, I'm able to create compelling brands and branding packages that stand out among the crowd.
It's important to me that you feel as comfortable with me as possible, so I'm going to give you a crash course on me:
- I love movie scores and musicals. That's what I'm listening to 80% of the time.
- My husband and I dated briefly in high school and didn't see each other for almost ten years. We reunited when I moved back to my hometown and we've been inseparable ever since.
- I was raised a dog-lover, but I was gifted a kitten in college and I've been a cat person ever since. That kitten found his person in my dad so he lives at his house, but I have two fur babies with my husband now.
- My favorite place in the world is Venice. Second favorite is my bed. (I'm kind of kidding about the second one.)
- I really enjoy a warm cup of tea with honey.
- My house is covered in books. I'm mostly into fiction and any series/trilogies, but I have been known to fall for one-off novels.
Now you know a little bit about me! If you're looking for some unique, custom pieces for your wedding or home, feel free to explore my website!
If you have any questions, just shoot me an email by clicking here!